Monday, January 4, 2010

What I Did Over My Winter Break, By Loren T


This is about 5/7 of Miralda's Triangular Shawl, from Nancy Bush's Estonian Lace book. I was secretly hoping that I'd finish it, so I could just up an blog a blocked and beautiful shawl, but we all know life doesn't really work like that, right? Here are some badly photographed close-ups:



Nothing compares to washed and blocked lace. Nothing.

The yarn is Wollmeise's lace yarn in Sabrina, a very green teal yarn. I really like working with the yarn. It's not too thick or too thin, and it produces very crisp lace motifs. Now I want more of it.

The shawl itself is fun to knit: challenging, but not too challenging. The different motifs are fun and contain some interesting stitches. Since you start this shawl at its longest point, the beginning rows seem to take forever, but each subsequent row is shorter than the last, so it starts to move quickly. Definitely a pleasing project.

I hope to finish it soon and get back to sweater knitting. I need some nice sweaters!

Our unexpectedly long winter break was nice. I'm much happier sleeping in a bit. We relaxed and didn't do anything too interesting.

Sr. Jr. and I cooked together from the cookbook I got him for Chanukah - Eat Fresh Food: Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs. Don't let the dorky title fool you! This book is full of great recipes for anyone, not just teens. The focus is on fresh, healthy ingredients, without making the cooking too complicated. The first night we cooked we made Carrot-Ginger Tomato soup and Wasabi-Lime Salmon. Yum! Both recipes were delicious and extremely healthy.

Right now, Sr. Jr. is in the kitchen chopping tomatoes, garlic, and basil for another recipe from the book. My secret plan to develop a personal chef seems to be working ;)

In reading news, I finished Wolf Hall, which I enjoyed quite a bit. It personalized history, filled in the daily detail and emotions that are missing from the history books. I started to read Jasper Fforde's new book, Shades of Grey, but couldn't quite get into it. So I started reading Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin, and immediately fell into it. I'm not at all far into the book, but I can't wait to continue.

And my outrage of the day? Brit Hume on Faux News, telling Tiger Woods that to overcome his current scandal, he should convert from Buddhism to Christianity. As if no Christians have sex scandals! Beyond that, though, is the sheer arrogance of telling someone that converting to a new religion will make it all better and the complete lack of journalistic ethics or integrity involved. (But this is Faux, so it's already been established that "journalistic ethics or integrity" are not required for employment.) I'd call on the network to fire him, but I'm sure this is exactly why they hired him. And exactly why they have no credibility whatsoever.

No comments: