Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Appreciation

So, in general, I had a sucky Mother's Day. Sr. Jr. was sick (yucky gunky sinus stuff PLUS strep throat, fun) and we did nothing. Aside from a quick trip to the garden center, nada. I didn't get to knit, even. I did get to pick out where we got our Saturday evening takeout, though :)

But then I found out yesterday that one of my old college roommates died. Ovarian cancer. Obviously, she was my age. She had two boys, just like me. She was diagnosed soon after her younger son was born, and was in treatment on and off for about 8 years. She was a doctor. She had a great sense of humor. She was one of the most generous people I know. It was so tough reading her blog in the last few months, as she went into the hospital, and despite the brave face she always put on, you could see how much pain she was in. This is just NOT FAIR, and my heart goes out to her family, especially her boys.

So all the Mother's Day suckiness aside, I'm alive. I'm healthy and here for my family in every way possible. And I know that they love me as much as I love them, even if they don't always make grand gestures to show me.

Here's what's blooming around here right now, to have some beauty at the end of a depressing post:



2 comments:

Scott T. said...

very pretty pictures.

sorry that mother's day sucked.

we do love you and do appreciate you. You'll get your day.

kippi said...

I'm so sorry about your friend.