Wednesday, December 9, 2009

That Time of Year

Chanukah starts Friday night. Chanukah starts Friday night? CHANUKAH STARTS FRIDAY NIGHT!!

Yeah, right... holy shit. Thanksgiving just ended and it dawned on me that I had no presents. I hadn't started shopping for anyone. I ran out and got some things to start. Tomorrow I will go looking for more. This morning I wrapped what I had:


and then hid it in a less secretive place than the one in which I keep the unwrapped presents. I was trying to play a little trick on Jr. Jr. and drag out the suspense. Usually the presents go up on the piano before Chanukah starts, leading to a daily ritual of counting, sorting, and comparing ("Mooooom, why does he have more presents that I do?). Jr. Jr. has been looking worried, asking me about whether I had started shopping yet. On Monday, he saw the wrapping paper I picked up at the Container Store and got very excited. I told him I was going to use it to make Chanukah decorations, not to wrap presents. Alas, my new choice of hiding place was not very smart, because as soon as he came home from school today, Jr. Jr. noticed that 1) the wrapping paper had been opened and used; and b) there were no wrapping paper Chanukah decorations hanging up (I was lazy). So he ran right upstairs and found the wrapped presents. Oh, well.

Yes, there IS a bottle of apple juice amongst those presents (evil grin). I haven't wrapped the toilet paper yet. Maybe I'll keep that one for Christmas.

My little fat helper tried to ruin every package I wrapped. Here she is, looking innocent and fat right afterward:


So, yes, everybody say it with me, but with all the shopping and wrapping and dentist's appointments and everything else...... there's been very little knitting time. Sigh. Maybe after the new year.

But I did start a new sweater, the Pas de Valse from the Fall issue of Twist Collective:


It's a pretty swingy sweater. This is Squoosh MCN sock yarn in Grey Powder. I know I usually go for darker, more saturated colors, but I like this. It's good to have variety. I'm just not sure if it looks like I got my pink sweater dirty or whether it looks interesting. It's mostly stockinette, knit in one piece up to the armholes, with a knit-at-the-same-time shawl extension. So it's easy enough for me to take on right now when I don't have time to concentrate.

Sr. Jr. just came home and told me he's taken out The Jungle from the library so I wonder if we'll be going vegetarian soon?

4 comments:

Scott T. said...

does he know what the Jungle is about? he probably thought it was a war book (I've never read it but know what it's about)

Sharon said...

Love that fat kitty! I was home sick today and wrapped Hanukkah presents today too. I'm not such a purist--I use Christmas paper for Hanukkah presents and vice versa. Whatever.

Hmm, The Jungle. We just watched Food, Inc. so now my husband is worried that I'm going to take dairy of the menu too. Pretty gross.

I have to say that my 12 year old acts like Jr. Jr. over the presents. Her face lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree when she saw them sitting in the corner. I intentionally did not label any of them (testing how much dementia has set in on my part)because I want to keep her guessing about which are hers.

Stay well,

S

Loren T said...

I hope you feel better soon, Sharon! Not too serious, either, I hope.

I was so excited going through the NY Times/New Yorker's best books of the year list. Books that were not available on Kindle when they were first released are now. So I downloaded a bunch of books that I'm looking forward to now.

In addition to The Jungle, there were reports today that even fast food places reject the food that gets sent to our schools. Sr. Jr. is really into food and cooking, so I hope that we can come up with some good healthy menus together.

kippi said...

At least you know your kids are paying attention!

The fat kitty is funny.

Love the pink sweater. It is a departure for you. How swingy is swingy?

Have you seen the Ted Talk with the woman who transformed the school lunches in Northern California? It is a great lecture. I don't do dairy. Missed it at first (especially cheese) but now that I've been dairy free for so long, trust me, it all is gross and smells weird.

I saw a container yesterday that was for the "strawberry filling" that is used in donuts. Strawberries were the SIXTH ingredient. Apples were the fifth. And Americans wonder why they are obese? As my obese brother says: "It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." Quite the poet, eh?