Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Best Laid Plans



Alas, all the big plans I had for this weekend went awry. On Saturday, we had Senior Junior's birthday party (at Ultrazone, the place for boy birthday parties, natch), and Junior Junior popped a fever. Now when he gets a fever, he gets a high fever that knocks him out completely. Motrin doesn't touch it. It can get kind of scary, because he still seems so young. Senior Junior just doesn't get sick that way. Hubster and Sr. Jr. were supposed to take Jr. Jr. to their bike race on Sunday, leaving me with many hours of uninterrupted time to myself. Sigh.

I did, however, manage to complete the sleeves of my Autumn Rose. (Why can't I get the pictures to post where I want them to? If you know, please tell me in the comments). I started the sleeves using the recommended US 2 needles, but was getting too many stitches/inch, so I switched to US 3s. I completely redid the chart in color using Stitch & Motif maker, because the chart in the book drove me nuts. The fact that the entire chart was in black and white wasn't what compelled me to do this, it was the fact that the white squares represented the dark yarns and the dark squares represented the light yarns. That was just too much to keep straight. After all that, I still used the wrong color in the central stripe in the very first motif on the very first sleeve, so I had to rip and redo. I'm glad I started with the sleeves, because I got these mistakes out of my system on a much smaller piece of knitting. Hopefully, when I start the body, I will have internalized the pattern well enough that there shouldn't be too many problems.


Oh, I think I've got the picture thing! On the other knitting front, I'm closing in on the end of the Spiraling Coriolis socks. I've turned the heel and am about halfway up the leg on the second sock

I like these socks, but I can't stand the way Cat Bordhi writes. I find it very twee and a bit condescending. I also can't stand having to flip to nine different places in the book just to knit one pattern. The patterns, nonetheless, are genius, and I'll put up with the frustrations to learn the new techniques.
I had planned to use my free time today to knit the edging onto the Equestrian Blazer and sew on the button. I want to wear this sweater!
I'm already looking ahead to what next -- which sock pattern will come next? Recently, I've finished (or nearly finished) two sweaters, the Equestrian Blazer and the Nantucket Jacket, and Autumn Rose will roll once I cast on for the body. I'm thinking about a scarf, maybe a small Flower Basket scarf. Or a shawl... the Swallowtail shawl has been calling my name. Any suggestions?

No comments: