Friday, November 2, 2007

Welcome!

I tried to start a blog before, but didn't stick to it. This time I will try to keep it up, if only because it's a good place to document my knitting progress and let off some steam occasionally. An intro -- I'm Loren, a 40ish (well, just turned 40) former attorney living right outside Washington, DC. My husband still practices, with a focus on communications and wireless networking issues. In my lawyerly life, I prosecuted deceptive advertising cases, and did work on children's Internet privacy issues. I quit working when my oldest (the senior junior) was three and I was pregnant with my youngest (the junior junior). I sometimes miss having conversations about grown-up things, unrelated to my children or my husband, but mostly I love being home. Senior junior is ten years old now, and he'll enter middle school next year. I can already see that my being around during these years will be important for him.

I've been knitting for nearly 20 years now. It's a common story: my mother taught me to knit as a child. Even as a teenager, I loved to knit, but my mother's skills were limited to casting on, knitting, and purling, so she couldn't help me move much beyond giant stockinette rectangles. I picked it up again after college when my roomate started working on a sweater. After that, I never looked back. I found Maggie Righetti, Principles of Knitting, and Rowan, and taught myself all I needed to know.

Right now I'm working on Eunny Jang's Autumn Rose, the Coriolis Socks from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways in Sock Knitting book, and just have to knit the edging and sew on a button to finish the Equestrian Blazer from the Winter '07 Interweave Knits. In the next post, photos and comments on Autumn Rose.

1 comment:

Scott T. said...

your husband sounds like a very handsome man; tell us more about him. ;-)