Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Finally, Some Edging


I've finally gotten around to applying the edging to Miss Lambert's shawl. It's a very easy edging to memorize, so once you get the fiddly starting bit done with, you can sail along. Of course, the shawl is supposed to block out to 60 inches, so that's quite a bit of sailing, in the end. But it is going pretty quickly, and it's enjoyable to do. I think the edging really does make the piece. The central pattern is nice, but kind of boring. The edging adds just that little bit extra to make the shawl pretty.

I have my eye on another shawl from that book, too, but I'll keep it a surprise until I cast on (if I cast on, that is.)

I'm an ADD knitter, if you haven't been able to tell yet. I'm so full of things I want to knit and design, that I could have 20 projects going at once if I didn't discipline myself. Every yarn I see inspires me. Cables, fair isle, lace... the more the merrier. Lately, I've been in a lace frame of mind, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to give in to the lure of the cable needle soon, too.

Right now, I only have the shawl and two pairs of socks on the needles. Both the sock patterns are pretty simple, so they're my backup knitting. I still want to knit one of those gorgeous doilies, and a shawl, but it's been a while since I had a sweater on the needles. The knitting on Autumn Rose was finished back in December. Seems like ages ago.

Politics...

So Edwards and Giuliani are out. I'm a bit surprised by Edwards. I thought he'd stick it out until after Super Tuesday. I had to laugh at HRC's claim of "victory" in Florida, a state in which no Democrats campaigned, and in which no delegates were awarded, due to some internecine Party warfare over primary dates. Seems she wanted to reclaim some momentum and glory after losing in South Carolina, but I think no one is fooled. If she wants to regain her footing in the campaign, she should talk substance, forget the spin, and forget the wargames. Make us see WHY we should vote for you.

Now that Giuliani is out and Huckabee seems limited to a few evangelicals, the race has narrowed down to McCain and Romney. McCain vs Clinton seems an easy race to handicap. A McCain vs Obama race would be very interesting, indeed.

4 comments:

kippi said...

beautiful edging. Don't you just love the magic of lace blocking? Do you have the blocking wires? I like them because they are faster than the pins.

Totally relate to the ADD thing. I have so many things going here it isn't even funny. Did you see the new pink lemon twist sock pattern? http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/ I really like the cables.

Totally tacky at best for HRC to claim victory in Florida and then promise to fight for those delegates. Seems smarmy. She comes across as willing to do anything to get elected. And is it just me or does her husband not look well? His palor is odd. Agreed the McCain/Obama race would be much more interesting.

The sun is shining today and that makes me happy.

Scott T. said...

Let's face it, politics is personal. It comes down to whether you like someone. You might agree with some politician's "policy" positions but if you don't like them as a person, it is going to get in the way of voting for them.

From what I heard of Obama during the debate last night (out of the corner of my ear) he is very charming and articulate. But Hillary has undeniable policy chops and experience with the blood sport of Washington politics. On a person level, though, she's not that likeable, at least to me. She's not bad; she's not Fred Thompson, but she's not charming and charismatic. She doesn't seem to have a good sense of humor (which Obama and McCain both have going for them; I don't see Hillary doing well on the Daily Show).

But the dems need to really, seriously consider whether the rest of the country is ready to elect a black man president (or a woman for that matter). It's a question we can't answer from the suburbs of Washington DC, and it's not something you can poll on, because the people who might let that influence them aren't going to answer it truthfully

NH Knitting Mama said...

Your knitting is beautiful!

Loren T said...

Thanks, NH Knitting Mama! That's always nice to hear :)