Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snowy Day


This is what it looks like out my front door this afternoon. It's pretty, but it's heavy and wet. Just after I took this picture, the snow started changing over to the Washington area's typical "wintry mix." Yuck. I hope that school isn't delayed tomorrow morning.

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through Miss Lambert's shawl:


Still looks like unblocked crap. I'm bored with this section now; I'd like to get onto the edging. I'm trying very hard not to cast on for anything else right now, because I'd also like to finish my Dove socks soon. But I might slip up and accidentally cast on for one of those doilies I've been dying to knit ;)


Virginia's primary is on February 12th. In recent years, Virginia has been considered enough of a stronghold for Republicans that we don't see much campaigning here. Luckily, we are close enough to DC that we have amply opportunity to stay informed on the issues and the campaigns. Having neighbors who work on the various campaigns also helps. This year we may see some campaigning, for two reasons. First, it's entirely possible that the nominations for both parties will still be in play by February 12th, even though a whole honkin' bumload of states hold their primaries on the 5th. Second, Virginia has been trending more and more Democratic over the past few years, so we may turn into a battleground state. While I look forward to the chance that candidates might actually pay attention to us, what this really means is that we'll be inundated with horrible negative ads, push polls, and autodialing come general election time. That I can live without.

Sorry I don't have much more to add, but I'm sure I will soon.

No comments: