Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Earth Moved for Me, But Not in a Good Way

After lunch today, I was sitting and doing some spinning, when all of a sudden, the whole house shook and rumbled. The shaking and rumbling went on for about 20 or 30 seconds. The cats freaked out. I ran outside to see if a tree had fallen near the house or if there was construction going on nearby. Nothing. I ran downstairs to see if the washing machine had exploded or something. Nope. Turns out we had an earthquake that measured 1.8 on the Richter scale. If that was a 1.8, I really don't want to see a 5 or a 6, so no matter how much I love San Franscisco, I'm staying here, thankyouverymuch.

I'm still working on the burgundy merino. I've only got a wee little bit to go before I finish the first of two bobbins:



That's a penny on the right, for scale. I want to get this spinning done so I can start on some of the other gorgeous fibers I've gotten recently!

I've also been working on the Dayflower Lace camisole. It's an easily memorized pattern, so it's fun knitting. I've gotten through 4 repeats of the pattern so far. Here's the long view:



Hmmm. I see I got a bit of camera strap in that photo, too. Mad picture taking skillz, yo. Here's a close-up of the pattern:



And still more camera strap interference. Good thing I'm not a professional!

Kippi of the comments reports that she's finished her doily! Kippi, if you want to send me a picture, I'd be happy to post it here for you. I can't wait to see it. I WILL get back to mine. Really. I've just gotten to a kind of tedious part, so I just have to power through it.

1 comment:

kippi said...

holy tamale an earthquake in VA? which fault line is that?

Love your sweater! such a pretty, pretty pattern.

Um, yah, I'll have to block that lace first. Not in a big hurry as it will take me forever with all those edge points.

I'm going to go read up on the fault lines.

k