Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bounty

Nature may hate us (see, e.g. blackouts, heatwaves, etc.), but she sure does provide some yummy stuff to eat:



Mmmm. Those are fresh sour cherries and strawberries picked by us at Homestead Farms out in Poolesville, MD. I love cherry pie, cherry cobbler, homemade cherry vanilla ice cream... You get the picture. I may even try to make jam this year. We have far more than you can see in that picture, too. I have a lot of pitting and freezing to do.

Homestead has all sorts of fruit available for pick-your-own. The kids love going out there, too. We're not big on peaches, but we'll go out again in the Fall for Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples.

I continue to work on the Star of Evening shawl. I've done 3.5 chart repeats, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to spend on it. It really is perfect summer mindless knitting -- enough interest to keep me from being bored, but not so much interest that I have to concentrate much. Combine that with a beautiful shawl and you can't go wrong, huh?



(Insert caveats about unblocked lace looking like crap here.)

This weekend is Sr. Jr.'s first All-Star game. It's the game between the all stars of the two divisions. The interleague play starts in July. In the meantime, Sr. Jr. has discovered girls. So cute! He told me that all the boys in his class except one had crushes on girls. The one who doesn't is "just, like, so immature." Alas, the girl he was crushing on is into someone else, but he doesn't seem to be taking it too hard.

Off to go pit some more cherries...

1 comment:

kippi said...

Your shawl is so pretty. I think you are motoring right along even if it seems to you that it is slow.

Pretty cherries. Yes, I'll take a pie. Thank you. :-)

Love the Sr. Jr. story. My guess is there will be plenty of girls around in the very near future. Especially if he wears his uniform.