Friday, November 28, 2008

Simple Knitted Bodice Pictures

Finally.



I don't love it wholeheartedly, like I love the Gathered Pullover. There are some issues with fit that I would change if I could. I think it's a little bit big in the shoulder and bust area, and could use another inch or so of length. There's a little extra fabric in the underarm area that bugs me, but I think no one else would notice. Otherwise, I like the design a lot. It was easy to knit, with interesting bits to keep me from being bored.

Overall, though, it's comfy and wearable.

Stats: Pattern: Simple Knitted Bodice, by Stefanie Japel. Yarn: Dream in Color Classy, In Vino Veritas color. I used about 2.5 skeins. Modifications -- made the V a little shallower than called for in the pattern (increased at the neck every 6 rounds instead of 8, I think) and added an inch or so to the length. The original pattern called for a silk yarn with a lot of stretch, accounting for that by calling for a shorter length. My wool yarn won't stretch, so I added length to compensate.

The Chevalier mittens are finished, too. They had their bath this morning; now they're drying. They're warm and soft, too. I still have a bunch of this yarn leftover, but I'm going to take a break from the red.

I want to make a smoke ring-type thing. I don't have a pattern, so I'm just going to wing it. The question is the details -- should I just pick a lace pattern I like and knit it in the round, large enough to comfortably go over my head? Should I do some mumbo-jumbo with needle sizes to make it larger on top or on bottom, so that it lays flatter over my shoulders (bottom) or expands more comfortably to go over my big giant head (top -- see, you wondered why I don't show my head in pictures! It's because I'm freakish.)?

I will be using a dark turquoise alpaca and wool yarn that I got ages ago on eBay. I used another yarn from the same seller/manufacturer for my Fir Cone Wrap. It's soft and warm, perfect for a lacy smoke ring.

I don't know when I'll get started on that, as knitting time seems to be but a pipe dream these days, but in the meantime, I will keep working on the Tweed socks.

Hope everyone who celebrates it had a nice Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

kippi said...

very pretty! The color is great. I get what you mean about the fit as I have similar issues with the same pattern. It looks really nice on you, btw. Do you think the shoulder fit would have been better if you had done set in sleeves instead of seamless? I'm still learning about knitted garment fitting.

hope your holiday was great.

and great job on the mittens. they are great. it has been 80 degrees for the last week so mittens seem like a dream to me.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! This pattern is on my list so thanks for the comments on the fit...