Friday, July 10, 2009

Down to the Last Inch, I Expect...

Yesterday I started the border on the Aestlight Shawl:


The problem is that I'm running low on yarn. According to my calculations with the pattern in hand and a scale to measure the yarn, I should have enough. But it was getting pretty close, as you can see:


I have another skein of this color, but it's a different base (80/20 rather than 100% merino), it's slightly thicker, and a slightly different shade. Ack.

I kept working, hoping that the yarn would last. By the end of the evening last night I had knit the border all the way down one side of the triangle and just around the tip at the bottom:


Here's a close up of the tip:


And here's how much yarn I have left to work my way up the second side of the triangle:


So, what do you think? Will I make it? I'll be sweating this one down to the last stitch. If I can make it through the border, I don't mind using my other skein just to do the bind off on the top stitches - the differences in the yarns won't be noticeable in the bind off. But if I don't have enough to finish the border... I may have to rely on the kindness of Rav friends :)

In general summer news, Jr. Jr. has been having a great time at football camp this week. Sr. Jr. has been home this week, mostly begging for food. He's old enough now that he can go out on the golf course by himself, so he's played a couple of rounds at a local municipal 9 hole course. I'm very proud of him. He's been playing well, too! He and Mr. T are high on the wait list to compete in a father-son golf tournament Saturday morning. I hope they make it in, because it will be a lot of fun for them to compete together. Jr. Jr. and I will entertain ourselves on the putt putt course while they play.

And now I'm off to try to power my way through this border. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

kippi said...

I think you will make it through with a smidge of yarn to spare.

Oh, the father/son golf tournament sounds wonderful! I hope they get in.

My head hurts. My lace is sitting here and I don't know if I have the patience to work on it. Yarn needs winding. yet here I sit.