Friday, October 17, 2008

Quick Check In

Sorry for the paucity of posts, but I've been sick this week. I'm feeling a little better so far today, so I'll try to sneak this in now, in case I start to feel worse.

I was supposed to go on another of those around Arlington bike rides today. I'd planned to bring my camera with me, to get some shots of just how beautiful this area is at this time of year. Fall on the Potomac is just unbelieveably beautiful (well, so is Spring). Hopefully I'll be able to do it next week.

Of course, there hasn't been too much knitting while nauseated, so what I have doesn't look too much different from what I've already shown you:


Same thing, just a little longer. Here's the moody, backlit shot:


I mailed my MIL the first pair of little socklets, and she loves them! Says they fit perfectly, and have just the right amount of roll and height to fit with her shoes. So I'm forging ahead with the next pair:


I admit that I'm getting a little bored with the scarf. That's the problem with scarves -- they're long and repetitive. The good thing about scarves, especially lace scarves, is that they can be quick. So I'm starting to yearn for some other knitting, but I haven't felt well enough to do anything about it.

My brother dropped in unexpectedly earlier this week. He and his new girlfriend are in the area for a conference, so they stopped by here on their way down. They met us at the baseball game Tuesday night and watched Sr. Jr. fire off some great hits. The next morning, I got up at 6 am, as usual, and got the kids off to school. At 9:30, the two of them wandered downstairs, wondering where everyone was. Ah, life without kids. The new girlfriend is really nice. Apparently, her mother is a knitter/spinner/weaver. Too bad New Girlfriend is doomed. My brother is going to be 40 this year, and he's got a real thing about commitment. He's quite capable of making a commitment, up to a point. He's had some really amazing girlfriends, intelligent, capable, beautiful, but he's just not the type to be able to settle down and have kids, at least not any time in the foreseeable future. He'll also never ever leave New York City. So when New Girlfriend, who lives in California, started talking about how she liked New York, and could definitely see living in Brooklyn for a few years, but not necessarily to raise children, I could see the writing on the wall.

2 comments:

kippi said...

So sorry you have been sick! That is not fun at all.

Love the moody shot of the scarf.

So funny about your brother. Were you at least tempted to say something to her?

Hope your weekend is better than your week.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are sick - and hope you feel better soon! The scarf is gorgeous!